WinZip Computing, a Corel company, announced the availability of WinZip® 12.0, the latest version of the world’s leading compression software. New capabilities of WinZip 12.0 include industry-first JPEG Zip compression, a complete photo management and sharing solution, improved performance and compatibility and enhanced security options.
WinZip 12.0 makes it easier than ever to work with Zip files and other popular archive formats and adds functionality to improve performance for both home and corporate users.
“WinZip remains the most user-friendly compression tool available, and the new features in version 12.0 allow users to do much more than just compression,” said Shawn Cole, Director of Product Management of WinZip Computing. “WinZip 12.0 includes a complete photo management solution which allows users to download, rotate, zip and send JPEG files – all with WinZip. We like to call it our ‘from camera to grandma’ photo solution.”
New features and enhancements in WinZip 12.0 include:
– Photo and image compression—without any loss of quality or integrity—as well as image management and sharing
– Ability to create smaller Zip files through new compression algorithms and support for additional Archive formats
– Encryption security features to customize password requirements and the types of encryption available
– Improved user experience with various interface enhancements and refinements to help you (or your users) work smarter, faster, and safer
Photo Compression, Management and Sharing
– Compress Image Files –WinZip 12.0 compresses JPEG files by 20 to 25% without any loss of photo quality or data integrity. Smaller file sizes allow users to send photos faster and fit more on hard drives and removable media.
– Transfer and compress photos directly from digital camera – The new Zip from Camera Wizard (available in WinZip 12.0 Pro) makes it easy to transfer photos from a digital camera and compress them in a Zip file. For cameras that support orientation tags, WinZip 12.0 can also “auto-rotate” photos prior to compression so they are correctly oriented in the Zip file.
– View and work with photos directly in WinZip – WinZip’s Explorer allows users to view thumbnails of each photo, then drag and drop their images into folders for better organization. WinZip Pro includes a full-sized image viewer to view slide shows, rotate, resize, or delete photos all without unzipping them.
– Share photos with WinZip – WinZip 12.0’s enhanced Send feature makes it simple to share photos directly from WinZip. This is a fast and easy way to share pictures while reducing the required storage space and transfer time.
Improved Performance and Compatibility
– Powerful new compression technology – WinZip 12.0 adds the powerful LZMA compression method to create the smallest Zip files yet using WinZip’s unique “Best” compression option.
– Support for More Archive Formats – WinZip 12.0 adds support for 7Z archives, CD/DVD .ISO and .IMG disk image files to existing support for RAR, BZ2, CAB, LHA, Z, GZ, TAR, UUE, XXE, BinHex, Mime, and ZIP files.
Encryption Security Features
– Set password complexity preferences – WinZip 12.0 adds a new password policy which allows you to customize encryption password requirements to achieve a desired password complexity.
– Specify the types of encryption available – With WinZip 12.0 Pro, System Administrators can specify which encryption methods are available to each user and can disable the encryption features completely during MSI installation.
Improved User Experience
– Logically display file contents with Smart View – The new content-sensitive Smart View makes it easier to see the contents of Zip files. Simply open a Zip file and WinZip 12.0 will choose the most appropriate viewing method.
– More Compression Methods – The addition of WinZip’s new JPEG and LZMA compression methods to its existing PPMd, BZip2, Enhanced Deflate and WAVPack methods, WinZip offers improved compression performance for most file types.
– More intuitive and informative – New features combined with the classic Job Wizard task-automation tool in WinZip Pro, to make WinZip 12.0 the simplest and most intuitive version of WinZip ever.
Pricing and Availability
WinZip 12.0 Standard is US$29.95, and WinZip 12.0 Pro is US$49.95. Attractive volume licensing discounts are available. Existing registered users can upgrade to WinZip 12.0 at 50% of the new license fee.
WinZip is certified for Windows® XP and Windows Vista®.
Download links and ordering information can be found on the WinZip web site at http://www.winzip.com.