Sony Mobile Communications (“Sony Mobile”) recently announced it has received four 2012 red dot awards in the Product Design category, as well as one honourable mention. The jury of international experts evaluated entries against key criteria including the degree of innovation, ergonomics, durability and ecological soundness. The awards presentation ceremony took place in Essen, Germany on July 2.
“Design is at the heart of Sony Mobile’s product development philosophy and these awards are testament to the design quality of our Xperia smartphones and Smart Accessories, demonstrating our commitment to offering consumers a rich smartphone experience without sacrificing on functionality or design,” said Jeanna Kimbré, Director of Creative Product Design for Sony Mobile Communications.
The award winners
Xperia active, Xperia ion, Smart Wireless Headset pro and SmartDock for Xperia ion received red dot awards in the Product Design category, while Xperia ray picked up an honourable mention. The breadth of awards demonstrates Sony Mobile’s commitment to stylish, high-end design across its product portfolio.
• Xperia active offers a beautiful scratch resistant screen that can be used even with wet fingers and in bright sunshine. A sturdy aluminum frame surrounds and protects the display. In the jury’s words “all details point to its ruggedness and super-friendliness while also conveying high quality.”
• Xperia ion boasts a large display covering the front of the device, a simple, yet effective design that creates the illusion of the phone floating in the hand. The jury praised its “contrast between the black display and aluminum backside creating a high-quality appearance enhanced by precision workmanship.”
• The SmartDock for Xperia ion features an angled profile which enables ergonomic viewing. Its subtle, yet high quality design, allows its many functions, including connectivity with mouse, keyboard, HD TV and other devices, to shine. It won the jury over with its “seamless blend with the docked smartphone.”
• The discreet, unobtrusive design of the Smart Wireless Headset pro stereo headset is minimalistic in nature and attractive for a wide range of consumers in different working environments.
• The slim, dynamic shape of Xperia ray fits perfectly into the palm of your hand. The aluminum sides of the Android smartphone create a positive tactile experience, while also conveying durability and premium quality.
The red dot design award is one of the world’s largest and most distinguished design competitions, receiving more than 14,000 entries from 70 countries annually.